Kids Corner Text Version
SeaComm Kids Corner
3rd Edition 2021
I love my credit union.
Learn How to Save Money With a Budget
"We have to stick to the budget!" You have probably heard your parents or grandparents say that more than once. But what is a budget? A budget is simply a plan to help you decide how your money will be used. Even kids your age can have a budget and learn how to be responsible savers. SeaComm wants to help you figure out some B-U-D-G-E-T basics by using the tips inside!
INSIDE: Fun Facts, The Coloring Contest Winner, A Fall Craft & More!
Fun Facts About Maple Syrup
- Maple syrup was first collected and used by the indigenous peoples of North America.
- Vermont is the largest producer in the United States.
- It takes about 40 gallons of maple sap to make one gallon of maple syrup.
- The average sugar maple tree produces around 5 to 15 gallons of maple sap, which means the maple sap from 2.5 trees needs to be combined to make a single gallon of maple syrup.
- Sap straight from the tree is mostly water - only 2% sugar.
- Usually a maple tree is at least 30 years old and 12 inches in diameter before it is tapped.
- Tapping a tree leaves a scar. When the sap runs out, the tree naturally closes over the wound.
Pstt! It’s almost Halloween, and Moola has decided to play a trick! He is hiding somewhere within Kid’s Corner, can you find him?
- Become aware of your spending habits by keeping a log of how much you spend and what you spend it on.
- Understand the difference between things you really need and things you just want. This will help you cut back and save a little extra.
- Divvy up your weekly earnings from allowance, gifts, or chores. Put some in your piggy bank for those things you might need or want soon, put a few dollars in your wallet for spend money, and set aside the rest for future savings.
- Go for the savings goal. Plan ahead for those things you may want to buy or do in the future - a new book or video game, an upcoming movie or concert, a school dance. Rather than spending money on less important things, you can save for what really matters to you.
- Earn more by saving more in your SeaComm Share Account.
- Treat yourself to something special here and there - your birthday, good grades, or meeting a savings goal. Go ahead and celebrate a job well done!
See the kitten on the wall, sporting with the leaves that fall, Withered leaves—one—two—and three, from the lofty elder-tree! Through the calm and frosty air, of this morning bright and fair... —But the kitten, how she starts; Crouches, stretches, paws, and darts!
- From The Kitten and Falling Leaves by William Wordsworth
Just for Laughs
Question: What reads and lives in an apple?
The Fall Fun Coloring Contest Winners
Submissions were voted on by SeaComm Staff, and the winners below had the most votes in their categories!
Category 1: Ages 4 & Under Winner Owen, Age 4
Category 2: Ages 5-8 Winner Noah, Age 6
Category 3: Ages 9-12 Winner Kylie, Age 12
We would like to thank all of the participants for their submissions! We hope to see you for our next fun contest!
Paper Plate Owls
- Colored Paper Plates
- Googly Eyes
- Colored Foam Craft Sheets
How To Make
- Cut out and place (glue) two foam circles onto the plate for the eyes, and add the googly eyes.
- Cut out and glue on some triangle ears, a triangle beak, and heart shaped feet.
- Cut out wings and glue them on the sides of the plate.
- Finish decorating with heart shaped feathers.
30 Stearns St
Massena, NY 13662
315-764-0566 / 800-764-0566