Kids Corner Text Version
SeaComm Kids Corner
1st Edition 2020
I love my credit union.
Did you know?
The earliest recorded coin collection belonged to the first emperor of Rome, Augustus Caesar. He lived from 63 B.C. to A.D. 14. That is over 2,000 years ago!
How To Be Dollar Smart
It's important to be smart about how you save, spend, and think about every dollar you earn. Read on for some Dollar S-M-A-R-T tips!
- Stay focused on your spending habits by recording how much you're spending, what you spent it on, and how much you saved. Being aware of this will probably make you more careful and help you save more easily.
- Make a wish list. Write down the things you really want to save for, either now or in the future, and how much they cost. Do your best to not spend too much on less important things.
- Allocate funds for different things, in different places.Put a few dollars in your wallet for spending money, and set aside the rest for future savings.
- Reward yourself. It's ok to splurge once in a while - your birthday, a good report card, or meeting a savings goal. Go ahead and celebrate a job well-done!
- Take a trip to SeaComm. While you're there, deposit some savings into your share savings account.
Amazing Dolphin Facts
Dolphins are aquatic mammals. They are extremely intelligent and sociable animals. Check out these interesting dolphin facts:
- Dolphins are able to see beside, in front, and even behind themselves because their eyes are placed laterally, one eye on each side of the head. Unlike human eyes, which act together to view things in their range of vision, a dolphin's eyes act independently. One pupil may be staring intently at something while the other pupil is relaxed and constricted.
- Dolphins have an organ called melon in the head that emits the sound waves used for echolocation (the location of objects by reflected sound). The teeth of dolphins work as a kind of antenna to pick up the sounds bounced back during echolocation.
- Dolphins can recognize themselves in the mirrors which mean that they are self-aware, an indicator of intelligence.
Just for Laughs
Question: Why didn’t the skunk have enough money to go to the movies?
Answer: Because he only had one scent!
Magnetic Cardboard Tic Tac Toe
Materials for Tic Tac Toe
- 10 Small Magnets
- Glue Gun
- Dry Erase Marker
Cut out 10 circles out of the piece of cardboard. Then, using the marker draw 5 “X”s and 5 “O”s on one side of the circles. Flip the cardboard circles over and using the hot glue gun (ask an adult to help) attach the magnet pieces. Your Tic Tac Toe game is almost ready. To play it you need to draw a big # (hashtag) sign on the fridge using the dry erase marker and let the fun begin!
30 Stearns St
Massena, NY 13662